Sunday, May 13, 2012

DERBY WEEKEND

If you live in or around Louisville, Ky then you understand about the Derby.  It is THE weekend of the year.  HB and I went to  the Oaks (on Friday) and the Derby (on Saturday) about 10 years ago.  It's one of those things that everyone should do once in their life, but for me once was enough.  Now if you have fantastic seats and an ideal view of the track you might be inclined to go again, but our seats were not so great and our view of the track was pretty poor.  If it hadn't been for the TV screen, we would have been clueless as to where the horses were on the track.  However, it was a fun weekend because we were with good friends and our daughter and her husband, the mint juleps flowed freely, and we had some winners.
This year our son and his wife decided to go to the Oaks and the Derby and we offered to be nighttime babysitters for the grandkids.  They stayed at their house during the day with a sitter and we picked them up about 6pm to spend the night with us.  I promised them we would make cupcakes the first night........ O.M.G.  Three little ones, a box of cake mix, two cans of frosting, some cupcake liners and sprinkles...that's all it took to completely destroy my kitchen in exactly 57 minutes...but boy did they have fun!! Honestly I just let them do what they wanted.  I did end up spending about 5 min. picking egg shell out of the mix, since the littlest one insisted on cracking one of the eggs.  Getting the cake mixture into the cupcake tins was another adventure since for some, eye-hand control is not yet highly developed.  I might be talking about the one who put the egg, shell and all, into the batter :)
After the cupcakes were done and cooled I put one knife in the chocolate and one knife in the vanilla frosting and turned my back for a nano second.  In that time a fight ensued and the knives had been switched at least three times.  If there had been no label on the front of the cans I would not have known which frosting was which.  Finally we got the cupcakes frosted, in a kind of marbleized color. Then came the very worst part...... the addition of the sprinkles!  Who knew?  These children did not just shake on a few decorative sprinkles, they took the tops off of all the bottles and added layers of sprinkles! Below are some pictures of our adventure.  It probably took me as long to clean up the kitchen as it did to make the cupcakes, but I hope in their young minds we created some good memories.  I have some great memories of my grandmothers and I tell my grandchildren about things I did with them.  I hope someday they will tell their children about me.




No comments:

Post a Comment