Friday, August 2, 2013

REAL BOOKS

I used to love to read, but in the past year or so, since I got my Kindle I've really cut down on my reading.  I would order new books and start reading them, but never finished.  Today I was in Barnes and Noble and I started wandering the new releases.  I read both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, two of my all time favorite books.  I read both of them in book form.  I wanted to read the author's newest book, And the Mountains Echoed.  I was going to order it on my Kindle, but was wondering if I would leave it unfinished just like all the other ones.  I picked up the book and started thumbing through it.  I loved the feel of that book in my hands.  It had some weight, and there were pages to turn, and it had that book smell, it felt like it belonged in my hands.  It hit me then, this is what I have been missing on my Kindle, all those sight and smells that make a book a book.  A Kindle doesn't feel familiar to me,  It's cold and mechanical, sometimes you have to recharge the battery before you can continue reading.  Holding this book  I felt that desire to read a real book again.  I love carrying a book around.  Reading late into the night was something I always used to do because my books always went to bed with me.
So I bought the book.  Luckily it was 40% off.  I took it to my doctor's appointment and read it while I waited.  The book is sitting beside me now, waiting to be picked up again.  I plan to spend the next couple of hours reading. I am so happy real books came back into my life.  Anyone want to buy a used Kindle? :)

1 comment:

  1. I am also an avid reader but wasn't a book buyer. I was a library patron. I still am but I go there electronically through my Nook now.
    I love my Nook. I love it because it is light weight. Easy on the old hands. I love it because it's small and fits in my purse. I love it because if I finish a book on a Sunday afternoon, all I have to do is click away and I have a new one in minutes.
    I think I'm reading more, not less, since I got my Nook.
    Different strokes for different folks, eh?

    ReplyDelete