Monday, August 26, 2013

I THINK THE PARTY IS OVER

I've been a beadmaker for 13 years.  For the last year I have been in a bead slump, in other words my mojo is gone.  There is nothing there...nada, zip, no thing!  I've tried new ideas and resurrected old ones.  Neither method has been exciting for me.  In the "old days"  beadmaking was profitable, which is necessary if a beadmaker wants to continue to buy supplies.  The market is now flooded by a variety of beadmakers.  Many far more talented than I will ever be, but also with some very inferior beadmakers that sell their beads for a pittance.  I think it's time to step away.  I'm discouraged and honestly I'm tired of trying to make the silver glasses sing.  That combined with the fact that no one in the glass industry has ever come up with a decent pink glass has driven me over the edge, but truthfully I was way too close in the first place.  This past year has presented many challenges to me.  Some I've been successful in meeting  head on, however, others have changed me.  I have a show in Nov. that I will do.  I'm going to give it until after Christmas.  I have some new things I am going to try, and maybe I will paint again....  it's time for a cool change........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk

4 comments:

  1. I understand. I've been at it for a little over 16 yrs. Not to the same extent as you - never sold online - but I can feel myself winding down.
    The two galleries that handle my stuff sell very little.
    My twice-yearly open houses do well but even that has lost its appeal.
    My next open house is in Nov.; we'll have to touch base and see how we're feeling after Nov., eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok it's a deal, we will re-evaluate in Nov. I think I'm going to try felted objects next. Don't tell HB, he becomes overwhelmed at the very idea of new projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a plan - melting glass is the only thing I've ever been any good at - and I've tried several things over the years.
      Maybe I'll take up "soap operas." haha

      Delete
  3. Dear Harriet,
    I'm glad that I got my beads while you were still working.
    Maybe you will go back to quilting.
    Take good care of yourself.
    Mary C.


    ReplyDelete