Thursday, September 15, 2011

LOOKING FOR MY SOCKS

One of my most dreaded days of the year arrived last week.  It's that first day you get up and know that this is not a toeless shoe day.  First of all it was raining, and added to that it was somewhere around 58 degrees  The week before it had been above 100 for several days in a row, and then bingo, out of nowhere, socks were needed.  I have a sock drawer, and at the end of winter I always remind myself that my sock drawer needs to be replenished, because I am hard on socks.  In colder weather they never leave my feet.  However, warm weather seduces my feet into going naked and the sock drawer is soon forgotten, until that first day that comes with a chill on it's breath.  So that specific morning I spent 20 min looking for matching socks.  Finally I found my favorite pair of Smart Sox.  They are wool, but don't feel like it and they are very very comfy.  I pulled them on my feet only to notice a hole in the heel of one of the socks! ACK!  A hole, in my favorite, and so far only pair of matching socks.  I remembered then my grandmother, sitting in her chair after dinner, darning my grandfathers socks. I knew that I was now the owner of that darning tool, not that I was going to use it, but it was the first time in a long time that I remembered my grandmother performing this task.

I eventually found two socks that were similar and wore them with the promise to myself that I would get some new socks immediately.  Of course the weather got warm again and sandals have become my footwear of choice.  The weather report calls for rain beginning tomorrow along with colder weather.  My sock drawer remains empty except for one or two socks with frayed elastic at the top and that one pair with the hole in the heel.  Maybe I should look for that darner after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment