Thursday, July 25, 2013

DAY FIVE

Well, I finally made some beads that I feel okay about.  My mojo has been out of order for a long, long time, but these beads I can live with.  Actually, they are on ebay, so. I'm not going to live with them very long :)   Well that's not totally true, because if no one buys them ............. they will be mine.  Here's a picture:

                                                       

                                                     
For me, as a beadmaker, the hardest thing to do is put myself "out there."  If no one buys my beads I doubt myself and then I become even more critical of my work.  In the past two years bead sales are really down for a lot of us beadmakers.  The market has become flooded and not with just beads made by people in the US.  There are several countries who mass produce glass beads.  These beads are not annealed (put in a kiln to slowly cool the bead after it comes out of the flame.  This process strengthens the glass) nor are they cleaned.  They break easily and don't hold up for long term use.  People who are just buying beads to make a necklace for themselves or a family member are usually not educated about what makes a good bead, so they buy inferior beads. They are cheaper, but in the long run they are not a good buy.  The round beads in this picture probably take me about 30 min to make each bead.  There are many layers involved and each flower and leaf is made one by one.  I make bigger beads like this.  This one takes

1 1/2-2 hours to make, if every stringer and vine is already made.  It's a tedious job, but I love that part of beadmaking.

                                       

                                       

1 comment:

  1. Trying to educate the masses on what it takes to turn out fantastic beads like yours is futile.
    I used to sell my beads on Sunday mornings outside a restaurant near our family cottage on Lake Michigan. I always had pictures of ME making the beads. 90% of the people that came up to my table would look at my necklaces, etc. and then ask, "So, where do you get your stones?" Stones? WTH!
    Don't give up. If you love what you're doing, keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete