Saturday, August 27, 2011

RE-LEARNING






So, I'm teaching myself to crochet.  Actually I learned to crochet about 35 years ago, so I guess you could say I'm re-teaching myself, however, it's not the same mind that learned to do this 35 years ago.  I'm not a fan of aging, until I consider the alternative, but I sure can't remember things like I used to.  Therefore, I spend a lot of time going back and counting stitches to see where I am in the pattern.

 Crocheting used to seem like an "old lady" (and that would not be me ) hobby to me and when I learned it the first time it was to make my then 3 year old daughter a little jumper out of granny squares.  Once it was done I didn't make anything else.  Recently I joined Pinterest.com.  WOW is it a fun website.  You have your own boards where you can pin your favorite items.  Or you can repin someone else's favorite item.  There are pictures of everything....quilts, glass, beads, crochet, recipes, photography.  It's a party for the eyes!  Crocheting has changed dramatically.  First in the way color is used and then the things that are being made.  Anyhow it's a really cool site.  You might want to check it out.  Here's a picture of my first square, which is still round because it isn't done yet, and it also has a big error in it, but it's my practice square so I can live with it.  Well, I'm off to make beads.  If HB was honest he would probably say I have too many hobbies (although he is always my biggest fan) and he could be right, but I'm retired and isn't that what retirement is all about?  Doing what you want when you want? Well, that's what I think it should be, so I just go wherever the creative part of me wants to go, because I think I need to enjoy the time now. Someday I may forget to count those stitches and then what kind of mess will I be in?

No comments:

Post a Comment